Disclaimer: I am an Amazon Associate and this post contains affiliate links. That means if you click on one of my links I receive a small commission which helps fund this blog. Thanks for your support! Note that I only promote products I love and use. These opinions are my own.
Remember way back when you were pregnant with your first child and had NO IDEA what baby items you actually needed and which ones were marketing ploys? I very vividly remember walking into Baby’s R Us for the first time to start our baby registry and nearly had a heart attack at all the options. I was so overwhelmed that I had a melt down by the baby bottles section and had to leave the store before finishing our registry.
There is a lot of crap for babies out there. There are also a lot of very useful items that made life a lot easier. It can be hard to decipher between the two especially when you are hormonal and carrying around another living being in your belly that likes to kick your bladder and give you back pain.
We are nearing the 2 year mark and I wanted to share 6 items we bought when our daughter was a newborn and that we still use today. I hope this helps some of you new mamas out there who are feeling a bit lost when it comes to some of these items.
I was skeptical about buying a baby monitor. They are all way too expensive and we live in an 850 square foot house so I figured what would we need one of these for? You can hear everything in every room anyway right? Ha! Well, I didn’t account for the fact that new moms can be a bit anxiety ridden and need to constantly make sure the baby is breathing and such.
Features I like about this monitor:
- You can change the lens of the camera in order to customize your view. There are 3 different lenses:
- Wide angle – to view the entire room which is best for the active toddler
- Zoom – to see details which is best for the newborn to see their faces clearer
- The camera pans, tilts, and zooms so you can view almost every corner of the nursery (comes in handy when you have a mobile toddler).
- The screen on the monitor provides a clear view that’s sharp and detailed.
- The range is 700 feet which for me means I can go work out in the yard while my daughter naps and still be able to check in on her through the monitor.
- Easily portable so you can bring it with you on trips.
Half of the mom’s I asked said yes buy changing table accessories and the other half said they are a waste of money just make a changing caddy that you can bring with you around the house. We ended up setting up a changing station and very rarely changed our daughter anywhere else when we were home. It was very convenient and easy to have all of our changing accessories in one place. The Summer Infant changing pad is affordable and durable. I highly recommend this product and setting up a changing station at home.
You’ll need a soft cover for your changing pad. These covers are made by the same company and are velvety soft. I recommend buying 2 covers that way when one is in the wash you have another fresh one on hand. Trust me, you’ll be washing these frequently 😉
Breastfeeding or bottle feeding, you are going to be sitting down feeding your baby all the time. You might as well have a comfortable chair and ottoman to sit in. I have spent countless hours rocking in this chair. Heck I’ve even fallen asleep in this chair many times. It’s very comfortable and has stood the test of time and use. I don’t use this chair so much to nurse anymore, but now we use it for story time and for snuggle time before bed.
Features I like about this glider/ottoman:
- There are pockets on the arms for storing books, snacks, water, cell phone, etc.
- The back is tall and supportive for your head.
- The cushions on the glider are removable and machine washable.
Same as with the glider and ottoman, whether you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding, the Boppy pillow is an amazing tool to have. Those tiny newborn babies can feel like 50 lbs hand weights after the 20th time you’ve nursed or fed them. The Boppy makes things a lot more comfortable for you. Now my daughter uses this pillow to lay on while reading books or watching TV.
We have 2 hound dogs and live on a very busy street that gets a lot of car and truck traffic. A sound machine is great for drowning out unwanted noises that may wake your sleeping baby up. Believe, the saying “never wake a sleeping baby” is so very true. I highly suggest you invest in a nice sound machine because you will be using it a lot and you want to make sure the sound is high quality. No one likes sleeping to the sound of a static-ey and metallic sounding sound machine.
Features I like about this sound machine:
- There are 10 different sound settings.
- There’s an “adaptive” setting which means the machine will adjust the volume to any loud noises like a dog barking or loud street traffic to drown them out.
- You can turn off any setting light on the machine. We tried another sound machine that had an “on” light that wouldn’t turn off and it illuminated the room! Drove me nuts! My daughter needs it to be completely dark to sleep well.